Joseph Philipson Visual Journalism661.727.4057

Niagara Falls

In this shot I wanted to show the details in the water below. I kept the waterfall highlighted and burned the rest of the image, drawing the viewers eyes centered. I stopped by here on my trip from California to Rochester, NY. My New home. This is on the Canadian side of the falls and was more impressive then I thought it was going to be… good job nature.

3 Responses Subscribe to comments

  1. Hym

    gr8 shots, I like the way you burned the first pic to draw attention to the water.

    Jun 23, 2010 @ 1:35 am

  2. Rashid Boolay

    Hey Joe,, sorry to loose another Cali Kid. I found your website on vimeo from a tutorial..I just want to say this is inspiring..I really like your page layout..Im new to photography and have a lot to learn. But I want to create something similar to this to share with my friends and family around the globe. So thanks for the tutorials I hope that there are more to come. I hope NY is treating you well. I have a couple friends that moved out to NY and have both told me that they have found home. I hope it has been that welcoming for you as well.
    OK my question is on the first picture that you “burned” the photo.. Im guessing that means to darken up the area..ill look that up..but was that the actual sky!? its amazing..did you do anything to the photo? I watched the how to on snow and was wondering if you can use that same principle with changing the skyline? Thanks again Joe for the tutorials, be well.

    Sep 17, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

  3. JPhilipson

    Hey Rashid,
    For a simple website I recommend, if you get one add me as a contact!

    The term “burning” and it’s antonym “dodging” were to describe actions of manipulating prints in the darkroom. To “burn” meaning make an area of a print darker and to “dodge” to make it lighter. Also, that was the actual sky however it isn’t the actual sky how we see it. Our eyes are actual limited instruments for sight, in order to get a more full range of a scenery or an image you need to make a composite of several images. This is called an “HDR” or High Dynamic Range image. I also have a tutorial on how to make hdr’s if you’re interested in that as well.

    Keep coming back, it’s nice to get feedback 🙂


    Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:31 am


buy weed online